Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Introducing Georgia O'Keeffe

Today we started our study on the famous American FEMALE artist Georgia O'Keeffe. O'Keeffe is the first female artist that we had studied so we were all abit excited and not sure what to expect.


As always we began by reading Mike Venezia's book from his "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series.



We discussed O'Keeffe's smooth, flowing style and surprisingly, both girls fell in love with her simple, clear, bright paintings of flowers, shells and yes, even the animal bones she painted were rather great. They then chose a picture of hers to copy onto some canvas. 




The Fashionista chose one of O'Keeffe's pictures off the web, "Pink Shell with Seaweed" and copied it from my laptop. She really works hard on her pictures and is NEVER really satisfied with them. I have to hurry her along or she can be there for days working on them.



Agent Smelly chose to copy "White Shell with Red". When I pointed out that the red looked more orange than red, I was told that she realised this but really couldn't be bothered going over it again. Not sure if you detected this but she really isn't that interested in copying someone's painting and will rush through her paintings simply to put them behind her!

I have to admit that I really didn't know anything about O'Keeffe's work before this study and as I just love pictures of flowers (The Pig hates them), I am now totally in love with a couple of O'Keeffe's paintings and know exactly what wall they would look good on. I even love the way she named them. Nothing obscure, it is what it is, i.e. "Petunia" ... now that's cool! I think she may even have surpassed Monet as my favourite artist now. Whose art do you love?












No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It