Thursday, August 16, 2012

Helen Keller the end

Well we finished reading Helen Keller today and both girls really enjoyed it.


We had some fun signing into each others hands with our eyes closed, just as Helen had learnt, and we found it really difficult to do. We were OK with the vowels and from then on it was all downhill ... not to mention The Fashionista can't go five minutes without chatting (or giggling)!




I gave them a list of about 12 questions to answer to ensure that they had a good understanding of the book and also to see what they had gained from it.


Agent Smelly's answer to what she thought of Helen was, "I think she was brave. She didn't let her disabilites stop her". I think she fully summed up Helen Keller don't you think.


We are working our way through books on what I would call inspirational women. I want my daughters to be surrounded by these amazing ladies who have done incredible things with their lives. Next we'll take a look at Florence Nightingale. Who do you recommend that was or is an inspirational woman for us to take a look at?



5 comments :

  1. Have you studied Anne Frank? Hayden said that the Auckland Museum has an Anne Frank display on or coming soon.
    Connie Ten Boom, Kate Shepherd, Amelia Earhart, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started working on Anne Franke last year, as the Anne Frank display was on at the Hamilton Museum. I ended up stopping as the girls just weren't understanding or appreciating the situation. And frankly it was a little too depressing for them to study.
      We did Amelia Earhart last term and they loved her. Mother Teresa is on the list. I thought of Di but am not sure how much of a real heroine she was. Audrey Hepburn was a pretty amazing humanitarian too for that matter and I would like to study Dian Fossey and Rosa Parks. Thanks for the Kate Shepherd idea ... had heard the name but never knew anything about her.

      Delete
    2. We went to that exibit in Hamilton as well. I'm surprised your girls didn't get into Anne Frank more, ours really enjoy looking at the Holocaust. Every year we end up looking into it a little deeper with more reads. Faith has just started re-reading some of the ones from our bookshelf recently. Maybe because it's a subject I find very interesting (though very very sad, I often get a lump in my throat reading aloud)so they have picked up on my interest.

      Delete
  2. This "I think she was brave. She didn't let her disabilites stop her" makes me think of the current Paralympics games at the moment, all the athletes competing without letting their disabilities stopping them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right; those people are inspirational! Would love to be seeing more of those games on the telly!

      Delete

Pin It