Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Grammar and The Fashionista

Well the little madam finally finished her First Language Lessons Level 3 today. She was thrilled. Maybe you can tell from her photo.




When we started on Level 1 and 2, I wasn't aware there was a Level 3 so we didn't continue with the series. Then I came across it online so decided to put her back onto it, as the girls had just loved Book 1 and 2. If there hadn't been a gap she would have completed it a year or two ago.  In fact Agent Smelly started it last term well ahead of her sister.

At this level there was a fair bit of diagramming, you know, the subject goes on the left, the verb to the right, the direct object after the verb on the graph and so on. She didn't find it at all difficult and really loved it to begin with. By the end of the book she had started to get a little bored with it. I am still scratching my head as to the relevance of it to be perfectly frank with you. Thank goodness I had a teachers manual (which is really easy to use!) or I would have been a bit lost in places. I did love the fact that they had to learn some Robert Louis Stevenson and William Makepeace Thackery poems as these writers have been on our list to read.

Based on The Fashionista becoming so bored with this towards the end and my wondering how important diagramming is I decided not to continue with the final book in the series but to switch her to a writing course. Up until recently she has really struggled with writing stories, even long answers to questions for that matter, so I have been really wanting to get her onto a program for it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It