Thursday, January 26, 2012

Veggie Delight

Those of you who know me well know how much I LOVE meat. In fact I could easily live on dairy and meat! Well I have been trying for a while now to have a meatless night ... not easy for me I tell you!




Anyway this is one our whole families easiest and yummiest veggie dish. Basically you use whatever veggie you have in the crisper or pantry.




Firstly simply cut up some hard root vegetables like potato, kumara (sweet potato), parsnip, swede, beetroot, etc into cube sizes and throw them in a baking dish and drizzle some oil across them. Then cook them for about 20-30 mins on a medium heat. If adding pumpkin I wouldn't add it too early as it can go to mush, so maybe add it to the dish about 10 mins into cooking the root veggies.




Then to that add some further veggies like sliced courgette (zucchini), beans, match stick carrots, asparagus spears cut into about 1/3's, quartered mushrooms, capsicum and mix well so that the oil coats them too. You may need to add extra oil but only if necessary. By cutting up these veggies different ways you add a really interesting look to the dish.






Then bake for another 10 -20mins. I also add broccoli and cauli to my mix. It's a bit of a hit and mix thing with those veggies, so you may even want to microwave or steam them before adding them just for the last 10 mins.




Whilst they are baking I make a simple Aoili Sauce. Store bought is fine, I just find it very expensive and our version serves us well.  To about a cup of  egg mayonnaise, I add 1 tsp minced garlic, juice of 1/2 a small lemon, ground salt and pepper and a drizzle of good olive oil. You want it to pour a little but not be too runny.








Serve the veggie delight in a bowl with some aoili drizzled over it and enjoy.









No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It