Thursday, August 1, 2013

The "Latest" study area!

I was reading the lovely Tina's Dynamic Homeschool Plus blog the other day on swoonworthy learning spaces / homeschool rooms and although we have had dedicated home school work spaces before somehow we've managed to end up back at the dining table. They haven't always worked for us. The study was too small and confined and the spare room, well it got very messy and cluttered as it was too big for just a school room for too so I ended up with crafts, toys etc.you name it in there. Needless to stay it ended up a mess and not a happy place!

Unfortunately Tina's "swoonworthy" pictures of homeschool rooms got me all motivated again and this time I decided to cut off part of my "parent's retreat" (obviously the architect who designed that room didn't have kids or hadn't met ours ... cause there's no retreating from them anywhere!) to make a little study area.


Things are on the move.
So I started pulling the shelves and other homeschooling things out of my study.

I then had to unload ALL the books (peeps there must be a cut off point for accumulating too many books!!!) so I could move some book shelves. This was exhausting! I had to take many a break to pop onto facebook to get some inspiration and motivation from my friend Kat. OK I was just sick of it after 15 minutes and decided to annoy her.

Now in it's new home in the retreat.

Once the new shelves are set up, I will redo these shelves as they are rather packed at the moment and not looking at all "swoonworthy"!


Looking from the lounge room (double doors) into the retreat.
Now what you can't see in this picture is on the left of me in the room are towers of books that wont fit back into the shelves. I had to bring some school books out of the study which has used up extra space. Fortunately I can purchase the same shelving unit as those other two and it will fit alongside them so I am rather pleased with that. Guess what I'll be doing Saturday .. shopping for my new unit ... yeah. That will be shelf set number 10 for our house! OK the one's in the girls rooms are filled with toys and ornaments so they don't count.

 
Two excited girls.
These two monkeys are loathe to leave the table, they love it so much ... they even asked to eat their lunch there! I said no, after all I had just vacuumed! This window and door leads to the back verandah. (It's was very foggy here this morning; OK the window / door does also really need a good cleaning!) Behind me are another set of windows and a door that lead to the direction of the lake so there's plenty of natural light in there. Teacher's lounge  (or should I say couch) is right behind me, once I can clear all those books out of the way to get to it.

Thanks for the inspiration (and very sore back) Tina xxx

8 comments :

  1. We have had many iterations of finding a suitable study spot and we end up back at the dining table too. My latest idea is to have "my" desk where I can be organised, but we homeschool at the big dining table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby does shift work (awful hours) so often we will have a sit down lunch and then we have to clear the table to eat ... or in my lazy state it all gets pushed to the end of the table ... lol I have left the lap top out on the dining table and the girls still can pop into that room to do their things online. We now have options but hopefully when people arrive now I wont be in a mad rush to clear the dining table to entertain them ... I dance on it for them ... ;)

      Delete
  2. Annoy me all you want :) Looks like a lovely study area. I solved the dining room table issue by moving our old one into the lounge. It's not always fully clear but it does the trick as a study space and my sewing area with a folding table used as needed as a cutting area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat this table was being used as my sewing table ... how magnanimous am I in giving it up for the little toads! It's actually an old extender table, so I had it extended and had the machine on one end and the other 3/4's for cutting etc. Frankly, it ended up as a junk table.

      Delete
  3. Lisa, you did a GREAT job! I love any light coming into the room. The table is just too cute and the supplies all organized on it...

    I love the new "home" for your school, looks like the girls do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, the girls and I grabbed some new bigger bright plastic tubs last night to go in the craft shelves. I now have to make some labels for my PENICLS ... hehe

      I found the pair of them sitting there late last night reading! The word NERDS springs to mind.

      Delete
  4. You can never have too many books or bookshelves. My dream house would have a library, with shelves from floor to ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Petal, you are a kindrid spirit!

      One day I would love to turn that whole wall into wall to ceiling shelves. That part you see in the pic is only about a third of the room so it would be just ideal. My husband is horrified at the thought and finds my love of books to be unnatural ... he's a sports head! Oh well they say opposites attract.

      Delete

Pin It